View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 12:09 PM
artist

artist

Hi Lisa,

I completely agree that hope is essential, of course, and that there are a fair few other conditions with similar symptoms. And I agree that misdiagnosis must happen, as you see, I have a 2% suspicion about my own diagnosis.

If one does have RSD, however, I'm not sure how helpful it is to treat it, as an ongoing situation, as if it isn't; though I think in my own case the treatment would be very similar anyway, and I suspect that only surgery would really sort me out, I have a few bone shards still in my wrist area. But I won't personally allow blocks or anything too invasive till I'm either 100% certain or too badly affected.

Should I be dealing with it like this? I don't know the answer, I'm just going with my gut instinct - which has let me down a few times, I can tell you LOL.

BTW, I wouldn't pay much attention to Dr. Hendler's article in the Pan Arab Journal of Neurosurgery, about CRPS Type 1 and misdiagnosis. His 71% is of 38 people in a single study, with Type 1, and he bases much of his premise on two papers, one by Dr. DM Long - on the advisory board of that Journal but hey, so what - written in 1982 (an advocate of sympathectomy if the blocks work!) and the other Dr. R Payne, written in 1986.

He says at the start of that paper that "Before referral to the Mensana Clinic 16/38 patients never received a sympathetic block, which is considered one of the essential diagnostic tests needed to confirm the presence of CRPS Type 1" - there's no reference given for that statement, but I couldn't find anything recent to support it. It certainly isn't in the Guidelines, either US or Dutch.

And that's just the beginning, but I'm very tired tonight, that'll do. Frankly, I wasn't just unimpressed by that paper, I think that in view of his very swanky private clinic, well....he's probably got a few Middle Eastern clients - but then, I'm a terrible cynic.

Anyway, you are quite right to urge hope upon us all, I'm very glad to hear you're doing so well now, take care,

all the best
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote