Thread: unbalanced
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 09:07 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

As an audiologist and MG pt I want to answered you from both aspects.

First as the pt:
YES!!! Before I was diagnosed (but what I now know was a period of exacerbation) I saw a otologist (ENT who specializes in ears/balance) because I was losing my balance and rolling my ankle from it. After I was diagnosed I realized it was muscle weakness and that I needed to stop wearing heels and switch to flats, which has helped a bit.

Now as the audiologist:
1) Absolutely share this feeling with your neuro on your next visit (or call the office and give them a heads up if it is impacting your life significantly and your next appointment isn't for a while) and make sure you explain the feeling descriptively- the terms "dizzy" and "off-balance" are extremely vague and can refer to a problem in many different systems- i.e. a pt can be dizzy because of low blood pressure.

2) Know that the term "vertigo" means a sensation feeling like your body is actually spinning in a room. This is usually associated with a vestibular (balance) issue, not muscular- if you have vertigo say VERTIGO!

3) Unfortunately pts with autoimmune diseases are at higher risk for other autoimmune diseases so if you experience constant ringing in your ears (tinnitus) with the onset of dizziness/vertigo and/or a sudden hearing loss (with or without tinnitus) call your doctor IMMEDIATELY. He or she will send you to an ENT (Ear, Nose & Throat/ Otolaryngologist). It's important though that you see an otologist- an ENT that specializes in ears or a neurologist, if there is one in your area as they will be most familiar with MG and treatment do's and don'ts.

Hope you found this helpful!!!!
sunflower1116 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MrsVgz (07-28-2012)