View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Gretchen,

Glad to hear that #31 is out and all went well! The injection that is given in the lower jaw is meant to go very near the bundle of nerves that reside in the mandibular canal. So it is common to get a zing or zap from that injection. Usually the numbness or discomfort from that injection is temporary. The sore spot near the extraction site could be a number of things. Like.. a canker sore, which will subside... a tiny bony fragment (like a sliver of bone), which may or may not fall out on it's own.... or some granulation tissue, which will either heal or can be easily removed. Keep rinsing with warm salt water and have your surgeon take a look at that site on wednesday.

I'm sure you will do fine with the removal of #3 also. It is hard to detect on an xray how far the root is into the sinus because the xray is only 2 dimensional. Sometimes the root is actually curved away from the sinus and is not in it at all! So the only sure way to know is during the removal of the tooth. It sounds like this new oral surgeon is very thorough in his approach and that is good!!

As for the replacement of tooth #3.... if the sinus is low and the implant would be too invasive, then you would be looking at either a bridge which would connect from #2 to #4 or a removable partial which would also replace any teeth that you might happen to have missing on your upper left side (not counting the wisdom tooth). There is also a small removable appliance called a nesbit... which is designed to replace one or two teeth next to each other. This is something you could discuss with your restorative dentist.

So okay..... you're doing great! We'll look forward to an update soon!!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmcor View Post
Hello, It's been 15 days since the removal of tooth #31 and I am doing really well. It was a simple extraction and the only problem I had with it was getting hit in the nerves with the numbing shot. I have a little sore area by the socket and was wondering if that could be from the shot. It hurts to put pressure on it. Bryanna?

I switched oral surgeons because of the too casual attitude of this one, plus he didn't like to answer my questions.

So, my appointment for the extraction of tooth #3 is now scheduled for this Wed., Aug. 1st. This time I'm getting the IV sedation because I feel this one will be a little more complicated with it the root tip being in my sinuses. This was confirmed by x-ray. Also I'm a little gun shy about possibly getting another zapper from a shot.

The new oral surgeon said he would irrigate the area and probably stitch the area some, and possibly do a bone grafting at a later date. He said I probably couldn't get an implant because it would go in too deep into the sinus area.

I don't know about getting a bridge either because I have a crown on one side, though at this time, it's just a temporary crown. I was wondering what other options, if any, there would be?

If anyone can help with these concerns, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Gretchen
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote