View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 04:48 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Spouse of TBI patient

Hi all... Guess I will get down to it.

My husband is almost six months out from a severe TBI. He made a miraculous recovery and has no physical/medical effects to be seen as a result of his TBI. However, he does have some personality changes and emotional issues.

He has been reading in to the things that people say, jokes they make, etc. It's almost impossible to predict what will offend him. I think this is a side effect of stress. He went back to work full-time almost right away after rehab and I think this was a mistake. During therapy he wasn't particularly stressed nor did he have such huge reactions to perceived insults. When I try to discuss things I'm seeing (such as stress from going back to work, expecting people to always know how not to step on his toes when it's impossible to predict what will bother him) I get accused of being an *edit* and micro-managing. If I don't use the perfect tone of voice or the exactly perfect wording, I get accused of micro-managing or being a jerk or making a mountain out of a molehill. Like I said, it's really hard to predict what will set him off, and I find it interesting that it is happening this way right after returning to work full-time. Anyway... I guess I can get into it more in the other forums.

Hi! Besides being the spouse of a TBI patient, I am 24 year old military wife and a student. I love animals and am teaching myself to draw. I'm very lonely as I am living with my husband overseas (no family or close friends nearby) and for obvious reasons our marriage isn't what it used to be. It seems like loneliness is a common problem for spouses of TBI patients. Looking forward to connecting...

Emily

Last edited by Koala77; 07-31-2012 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Language guidelines
Sonarlily is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lightrail11 (08-02-2012)