Old 07-31-2012, 10:50 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member
Thumbs up Glenn,

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--can have a whole host of abnormal sensations: burning, stinging, aching, electrical jolts, feelings of something touching the skin when there's nothing there, weird feelings of heat and cold without obvious sources, numbness . . .it all depends on the extent and kind of damage to the nerves and how the brain is interpreting the abnormal nerve firing.

It is also true that nerves that are healing, in the sense that nerve growth cones are fighting through other tissue and trying to hook back up to their efferents, may well produce all sorts of unusual sensations that can be hard to distinguish from nerves that are continuing to undergo a damage process. In such cases, often these parastheses recede slowly over months as the brain gets used to the new firing patterns. It's why those of us who are prone to "flares" or wide variations in symptoms like to keep diaries of our symptoms--it's often hard to notice the long-term pattern except in retrospect.

I find it very difficult to discern whether the pain is due to some healing or just getting worse. For about 9 months or so, i have been taking Benfotiamine ( 2)150mg am and p.m.)for a total of 600mg's a day. Also taking Stabilized R-lipoic acid 100 mg (one a day, two seemed to be more anxious) and MethyCobalamin Vit. B-12 2mg's.

After a month or two; started feeling better; burning and legs better, etc.; then the last few weeks; my legs are so stiff and painful when walking; especially when first getting up from sitting position. I am not a couch potatoe so do as much as possible...laundry, cooking, light cleaning, etc.; but the pain is really getting to me. I had L4-5 fusion and crushed nerve 5 years ago. Do still deal with spine pain; but noticed the legs are really scaring me and concerned about ability to continue walking (do use a cane).

Then comes....could this be healing...or is the progressively getting worse? At first, I tried to convince myself maybe healing was going on; but now the circulations and stiffness is really bad. How do I know the difference??

(Ger)
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dolby (07-31-2012)