View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 11:56 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellatum View Post
Stephanie, it's interesting that you saw a GBS expert, because he would know the difference between MG and CIDP, which is a chronic form of GBS.

I was in your position for a while. My doctor recommended a neurologist but I couldn't get an appointment for three months. Meanwhile I went to the ER during an especially weak time in the hopes that the resident neurologist could speed things up. It didn't work for me, but it might work for you. The reason it didn't help me is that my symptoms at the time were not typical of MG and no one so far had even suggested I might have MG. The neurologist at the hospital checked me for brain lesions, saw I wasn't in any immediate danger, tested my blood for whatever she could think of, and sent me home to wait for my neurologist appointment.

At one point I was already a patient of my current neurologist, and he was unable to diagnose me (I am seronegative and my SFEMG's weren't conclusive). He was planning to just keep seeing me every six months. I made an earlier appointment just to tell him: I'm getting worse. I can't live my normal life. We have to do something, and we have to do it immediately.

He responded very well to that. He sent me to another neurologist, in a different city, with a reputation for being able to diagnose difficult neuromuscular diseases, and that's how I got my diagnosis.

I don't know if a similar strategy would help you, but I'm telling you my story so you can consider your options. I'm so sorry you're in this position.

Abby
Thanks for everyone's insight and advice. Honestly if it wasn't for everyone on this list sharing their experiences, I would believe I was losing my mind! So again, thanks.

I went to university of Miami hospital and was admitted yesterday. At first I was optimistic they were going to hellp me but about an hour ago i had the misfortune of being seen by a dr sharma came in with a large group of young doctors (two of whom I saw yesterday and had great confidence in) and I am sitting here frustrated bcs I feel like I am back at square one! I could tell he was being very dismissive, actually said out loud, you don't have guillain barre! Really, wow what a rocket scientist! I had that in 1984, I didn't need to see him to know that. I knew i had aproblem when he said I think you need to adjust your thyroid med's (duh, tied that for a couple years already)

Now a blood guy came in saying dr sharma wants to check your potassium. Another duh, first of all has been checked for years and always been ok, I even gave them copies of potassium test from 7/21 and it was fine then...

Anyway, I have asked nurse to get the dr from yesterday back so I can talk to her and get back on track instead of going in circles.
StephC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote