View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 01:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have similar issues and it is TBI related. I don't hit people, (though sometimes am tempted! ) but I do really like kicking empty cardboard boxes when I'm angry. Very satisfying, no damage to anything important, I just keep taping them up (when the anger has passed) if I break them.

I wouldn't describe my anger like a panic attack, just an anger attack, usually over something that isn't a big deal, but in that moment, it doesn't matter.

The way I'd describe it is, life is harder than normal right now, everything requires effort, even things that didn't previously. I'm running at my max ability just to do regular things and get by that when something goes wrong, its like a huge affront to me. Why did such and such have to happen when I'm already struggling? A bit like the straw that broke the camel's back, but ongoing.... doesn't take that long to get there.

The physiatrist at the rehab center prescribed me an SSRI, Escitalopram to help with my "irritability", as they put it. However, that turned me into a zombie and made me so tired that even breathing seemed like a lot of work, so I quit it after about a week.

I haven't found very many things that help for me, other than the box kicking to get it out of my system faster (if I kick boxes, I can be over it in about 5 mins, otherwise it takes about 20 mins to get out of my system).

Meditation helps somewhat, but not once the anger starts. If I meditate before anything starts, I'm more likely to be able to keep my cool if a bump comes along. But once the anger starts, its like my body is on auto pilot and the best I can do is get away from what ever upset me and kick boxes. Sounds stupid, I know.

Also understand the shame of having to apologize afterwards... I try to explain it to people that I know as "my brain injury took over" and that seems to help them forgive any yelling.

Best of luck, I know what its like to go through it... its a bit like becoming the incredible hulk and somewhere inside the real me is going, what the heck is going on??

Starr
"Starr" is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dolfinwolf (07-31-2012)