View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 11:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Unfortunately, that's my conclusion also. I just googled Small Fiber Neuropathy and that seems to be exactly what I have. I'm also beginning to feel my joints cracking and I fear it may be RA. So more connective tissue autoimmunity may be involved.

I take 600mg Alpha Lipoic Acid, 5-10mg biotin. Used to take 1300mg Evening Primrose Oil and 500mcg B-12 but stopped them (last serum B-12 test = a bit high at 1600). Honestly, I don't think taking any of these supplements improved my neuropathy (I do know that ALA proved to be helpful only at very high doses in clinical trials). Perhaps they're helpful in stopping further deterioration. So I'll look into taking Benfotiamine.

My induction test showed neuropathy mainly in the feet; the hand numbing that I experience seemed to be due to my lifting weights without gloves. At the time, my endo was surprised since I had only been dx'ed with T2 diabetes a few months prior. But a few months later, I was dxed with Sjogren's. Nothing else so far but always on the lookout for more autoimmune conditions, since they come in clusters.

I have since incorporated a vigorous HIIT exercise routine (1 hour every other day) with weights for my upper body, which has kept me in terrific shape (I'm a guy @5-10/160 lbs. & 10-15% body fat) Because of the neuropathy related to my ulnar nerve entrapment, I've eliminated all "push" type of exericses and only do "pull" type of lifting: that is, no bench presses but shoulder pull-downs; no shoulder presses but arm curls. I'm thinking starting a similar exercise routine designed for my lower body to combat neuropathy there. Anyone experienced improvement upon doing "slow-burn" type of reps with lower weights -- something you can do 12 or more reps per set? No big muscle but improved circulation, fitness, muscle tone and definition?

I also go up and down the stairs 2x a day for 8 minutes which lowers my blood sugar terrifically on days I don't do my upper-body HIIT. I'm thinking about doing this everyday and alternating HIIT for the upper and lower body -- i.e., HIIT everyday. (I don't do any running or elliptical.) I know this will further improve my BG management; I'm also hopeful this could slow the encroachment of polyneuropathy. Anyone with experience in this area ? It would seem that the increased blood flow and circulation would retard or perhaps induce some degree of recovery from neuropathy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by en bloc View Post
The neuropathy can certainly progress just from the Sjogren's, regardless of whether your T2 is under control.

Last edited by dolby; 08-01-2012 at 12:27 AM.
dolby is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote