View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi fathermike,

Rinse with salt water only and very gingerly... not aggressive. Bleeding from an extraction site is normal and indicates that there is plenty of blood in that area. If the bleeding stops too soon, it can become a dry socket. BUT.... that is not always the case... and you may have bled plenty in the beginning... so do not worry! When you see your dentist on thursday, he will check the site.

Take good care of yourself and try not to let this worry you. A dry socket has some very distinct symptoms... on the 3rd to 4th day, the area becomes very painful and there is a very foul odor. Also, a fever may develop. However, if by the 3rd or 4th day the site is feeling pretty good... then you are most likely in the clear.

Keep us posted....
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathermike View Post
Hello.
I am new here. Had my second molar on right lower side extracted yesterday. It wasn't a totally simple extraction as there ended up being two roots where there should have been one! After many attempts and the tooth actually breaking as the dentist removed it, the tooth came out. The dentist put a gelfoam in the area and stitched the site. He then packed my tooth and waited for 20 minutes to check bleeding. He thought it looked good so gave me another gauze to go home with. I was to check it and use more gauze as needed. Didnt rest immediately when i went home but went grocery shopping. Came home and checked gauze, but wasnt too alarmed with amount of bleeding because i hadn't rested and I was quasi-active - nothing strenuous. Went to bed keeping my head raised.This morning started gentle salt water rinses with no signs of bleeding. Does this mean a clot has formed? I have a great fear of dental work, but will be seeing the dentist again on thursday for more work, so i will be checked out, but i am paranoid of dry socket. Thanks for your assistance and hand holding.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote