View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 11:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne523 View Post
Hi everyone

I have found some great ideas/suggestions on the "RSD lifesavers" thread. Now I am asking for some more ideas. My RSD is left hand/arm and have issues of right hand from overuse for the last 1 1/2 years. I have adapted many ways to get things done....but does anyone have any helpful ways of getting things done 1 handed? Last month my OT gave me rocker knife and I was so happy to be able to cut some of my own food. It was a small thing for him, but BIG for me. i haven't figured out how to tie shoes one handed..and the list goes on and on.
First of all, give yourself time. It takes alot of work, and even then some things just can't be done 1 handed. Mine began in my left wrist/hand over 5 1/2 years ago, and I find myself still adapting to some things. It took forever to be able to tie my shoes, and I don't do that very often...I wear skate shoes, tie them, double knot them, and slip them on and off until they start coming untied (or until my granddaughter unties them lol).

For me, I had to get away from my stubborn pride and admit there were just some things I couldn't do myself anymore. I still try, but I know my limits. I try to do simple, everyday things that help with training the hand (or training me)...such as simply letting it help wash my hair. It hurts, but trying for even a little bit helps. It took a long time to cut anything myself, and most of that is done with my teeth gritted and jaw locked...then it seems I'm tearing it rather than cutting sometimes. Most things I still can't cut.

Basically, just don't give up. You may not have full use of your hand, but you can get to where you can tolerate using it for simple things some. I even use petting my dog as therapy. Anything you allow yourself to do and endure with that hand will work as therapy for you. Just remember to pay attention to the limits your body tells you.
PhyllisJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote