View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 09:10 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default adapting

Wow, sounds like you and I are so similar. My RSD is in my left hand/arm. I've had this 3 1/2 yrs and still adapting. I type with my right hand, occasionally using left finger to hit a left side butter or capitalize someting. Cutting things is still hard, I ussually switch hands that i used to cut with or ask my husband or kids. I have slip on shoes for the most part or will have my daughter tie them, knot them and slip them on and off that way. I have most function in my left hand but it's still hard to use and takes allot of concentration sometimes. The thing I struggle with is gaurding and I tend to like my hand and arm covered or in a glove. I wear arm warmers allot because they help keep it warm, free from breeze and people tend to not bump it because they see something is wrong if i have an arm warmer on just one arm. Makes it a bit easier to use. I also have a spinal cord stim that has worked wonders most of the time. Humidity, weather changes, streess, overuse still crank up the pain and I have tendonitis in my right hand from over compensating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne523 View Post
Hi everyone

I have found some great ideas/suggestions on the "RSD lifesavers" thread. Now I am asking for some more ideas. My RSD is left hand/arm and have issues of right hand from overuse for the last 1 1/2 years. I have adapted many ways to get things done....but does anyone have any helpful ways of getting things done 1 handed? Last month my OT gave me rocker knife and I was so happy to be able to cut some of my own food. It was a small thing for him, but BIG for me. i haven't figured out how to tie shoes one handed..and the list goes on and on.
stressedout is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anne523 (08-05-2012)