View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 10:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Welcome to the group! You will find lots of helpful advice here. Mine is not a treatable neuropathy, so I won't address that, but I would like to comment on your attitude toward pain medication.
If you can get by with a good quality of life without opiates or anti-seizure meds, of course it is wiser not to take them. But if you are limiting your activities, experiencing a distracting level of pain, etc., then you should consider why your doctors are advising you to take something.
I am a 50 year old mother of five, still homeschooling my youngest and running a large household with a minimum of five teenagers and adults at home. My favorite activity is hiking/walking as much as possible, which isn't very much as I have considerable muscle atrophy. I would not be able to fulfill most of my responsibilities nor would I be able to pursue my interests without the combination of gabapentin and Percoset that I am on. The pain is just too distracting and depressing. I know the meds are merely covering up symptoms, but the symptoms can't be treated and this way I enjoy a better quality of life as well as being a lot easier to live with.
Addiction is not really the word for the dependence that chronic pain patients develop. I would recommend that you read Living With Chronic Pain by Jennifer Schneider.
I hope that treatment is possible for you. You have come to the right place for information!
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote