View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 02:41 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Charger,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Sorry to hear about your concussion.

My first advice for you is to watch the video series on YouTube called, "You Look Great." It is 6 segments and takes about an hour. The link to segment 1 is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Xso...ature=youtu.be

Ask you mom to watch it too.

You can also download the TBI Survival Guide at www.tbiguide.com It is 84 pages. Read it. Highlight or circle the parts that pertain to you. Then give it to your mom. Mothers tend to be more concerned.

You have an uphill battle but you can do this.

A part of your problem may be your age. PCS tends to get worse during puberty/adolescence. You are in the thick of it.

btw, As concussion symptoms go, slurred speech is a very serious symptom. Your parents need to understand this. I suffered a concussion with slurred speech when I was 10. It caused my grades to roller coaster through college whenever I was under stress or had even a slight head jarring.

If you are concerned about your grades, you should stop playing contact sports. This was not your first concussion. It was just your worst concussion. Research shows that reported concussions are just the tip of the concussion iceberg. There are often 10 to 15 times as many unreported concussions in contact sport athletes.

Then you have the sub-concussive impacts that you and your coaches have completely ignored. They are usually the most dangerous. But, I think you are smart enough to understand your risks. I sure hope so.

If you can get your mom or dad to read this forum and participate, they will learn a lot. I can even make an email contact with them if you want. Just ask and I'll get my email address to you. You just need to set your profile to accept Private Messages or email.

Keep in touch. There are plenty of good people here, including some moms who are struggling with their own sons' concussions.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
rmschaver (08-03-2012)