Thread: PN is not cool!
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 10:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile PN is not cool!

Hi all,

My name is Liz. I'm 28 years old, and in my senior year in a BSN nursing program. I was just diagnosed with idiopathic PN in Nov. 2006. My neuro says it is sensory only. Well. I have a slightly numb big toe, and occasionally I get a "flare-up" which leaves my fingers and feet feeling "burnt" for a few days.

The weird thing about my case is that I got really sick one weekend. I had just had my wedding in the middle of a very busy semester of nursing school. A few weeks later I had to have an emergency root canal, and my daughter had an acute respiratory attack which required 2 trips to the ER in two days. I felt like something "snapped". I became very ill. I was weak, couldn't eat, had abnormal burning sensations all over my body, and my legs were weak.

I went to my primary doctor who checked me for transverse myelitis, MS on an emergency basis. All my blood tests were normal, including vitamins, TSH at 3. With about 2 weeks rest, I began to feel better. I gradually started eating again, I got strength back in my legs, and the neuropathy symptoms became less severe. My neuro doc recommended B-1 supplements "just in case". I quit drinking ANY alcohol and sodas (I drank a LOT of soda). I have a gastric bypass, but that was years ago - so I don't know if that's related. My neuro is not much help, and tries to give me drugs, drugs...

The PN is variable. Some days are better, some worse. If I get stressed or tired I have the "sick" episode again (happened once since the first episode). Anyway, here I am. It sucks having this as a newly-wed with a 3 year old daughter. I worry about what the future might hold. I have an appt with the cleveland clinic later this summer, keeping my fingers crossed.

I have been reading all of your posts for a while now, and just decided to say hi!

Liz
nursegirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote