View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 09:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question Difficulty getting diagnosis let alone cause

My symptoms have been going on for about 5 years. I first noticed pins and needle in my arms when trying to go to sleep. It felt like I had impinged my blood supply so I would roll to other side and the same would happen to that arm. At the same time I started having irritable bowel syndrome and for the next 18 months I was constantly going to the toilet. I did have a colonoscopy and all was good. That also stopped on it;s own and I am not sure it is related but weird it started at the same time.I then started feeling more detached from my arms and getting pins and needles all the time, or a buzzing kind of feeling. I feel that in my legs too but my legs don't bother me as much. Then my hands started feeling cold and in winter for some reason my left side is colder that the other and goes red. My left leg feel different from my right I can't explain how but does. I then started getting shooting pains in my arms and muscle twitches on occassion. My left leg cramps in the morning as well. Last summer light breezes and airconditioning would hurt my arms. This winter my arms feel cold and painful. I have had nerve conduction studies which were normal. I have had an MRI of my brain and spine all normal. Blood tests normal except I always have mild neutropenia. All anitbody tests negative. I have seen a couple of neurologist that do same same neurological exams all normal. One neurologist did skin prick test with eyes closed using dull and sharp. Apparently that was abnormal.
I just saw a diagnostitian that basically said it was all in my head and it was not nervous system. I do have auto immune Hashimotos disease which involves antibodies destroying the thyroid. I am taking thyroxine so my thyroid function is usually normal. Until now I have always thought of it as peripheral neuropathy involving small fibres unknown cause. After seeing that horrible doctor not sure what to think. Small fibre neuropathy is also suppose to start at the feet which mine didn't. Anyone have any suggestions.
vlpearce is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote