Thread: Ataxia
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I responded on another thread as well. My grandfather has a specific type of ataxia (a rare type) and has gradually been losing motor control over many years. He is now at the point where he cannot walk, feed himself or even swallow solid food, transfer from bed to chair, hold onto items in order to write, etc. His mind is just fine, but his body won't cooperate with most things he wants to do.

Again, his is a very specific, rare, and GENETIC type of ataxia, and it has taken many many years for him to get to this point. I don't think this is how all ataxias go. Were you given any other specifics on it, such as "cerebellar ataxia" or anything?

In general, I think it just has to do with loss of coordination, which could mean that you would need to learn new ways to accomplish daily tasks that become difficult, use specialized tools to help you, or possibly have someone assist you with them.

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote