View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 03:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyMarie View Post
Hello! I have CRPS in my leg/foot and also have some spasms, mine aren't nearly as bad as yours sound but I figured I'd give you some insight to the nerve blocks as we are somewhat close in age. I've been having lumbar sympathetic blocks done for the past several months on a monthly basis (minus one month as I didn't respond to one month's injections, I just found out the other day it was possible he missed as it's such a small area to get at). I get about 10-15% worth of relief from them. To me, that's a lot. The amount of relief varies from person to person however. What works for me, may not work for you. I get the blocks done every 3-4 weeks. Sometimes I get 2-3 weeks of relief, sometimes I only get 1 week of relief. There is some back pain from them and I do feel wiped out for about 24-48 hours after my injections. I sleep and sleep during that time, I find it's just better for me to do that. They sound worse than they are. It doesn't really hurt (if you can stand a nice deep IM injection or IV, it's a piece of cake) during the injections except I tend to get a little pressure in the pelvic region that by the time I gasp or move my head cuz it kinda hurts, it's going away and gone.

In terms of my spasms...there's nothing that stops mine...at random, I kick out or my leg goes flying into the air. Extremely painful. I've been on a variety of different muscle relaxers but nothing works for me. I can go a day or two without a twitch during my "alert" hours but I've been told when I sleep, my leg goes nuts nightly. Don't give up hope though. We are all different in what works and what doesn't work.

I wish you the best of luck in your treatments. It's not easy to have this disease but that's why there are groups like this. I've found a few support groups that without them, I doubt I'd be here today. I've been through hell and back so many times, I wonder where the strength comes from. Not just because of the disease either.
Thank you thank you for the response! I've got a good tolerance for pain so I'm really not concerned about the actual nerve block procedure, but definitely good info to know. I'm disappointed to hear that it hasn't helped with spasming although I guess I'm not surprised based on what I've read. Crossing my fingers and all of my (right, lol) toes that my results are more promising. I'm just a couple of months in and already am amazed that people are able to bear the pain for this long--by days end (usually 7pm) I'm wiped out and can't take it any more. You folks are strong!! Reading about your struggles gives me strength as well and I can't tell you how happy I am to have found such a great resource in this forum.

Best to all of you.
askcb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote