View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 07:19 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I found your post extremely interesting. I have hereditary sensory-motor neuropathy, also called CMT. My symptoms started in earnest, beyond my life-long clumsiness and lack of coordination, about 12 years ago, almost exactly the way you describe yours, with the addition of numbness in the toes of both feet. I also had disabling sciatica which required a laminectomy, (removal of material from a ruptured disc pressing on the nerve) at the time.
My hands and arms were so much the problem that I was sent for an EMG on my hands. Diagnosis was bilateral carpal tunnel, which should have been a red flag, but I was afraid to mention the numbness in feet because I was scared it meant I was diabetic. Dumb.

All those words to lead up to this: you mention that your son has Asperger's, and that his nerves are wired differently. Is this your idea or has a doctor told you this? I ask because both myself and my eldest son have Asperger's and he is the one showing the most symptoms of CMT at 27. I have ways believed that this (Aspergers) affected his nervous system, he developed shingles as a child and was the youngest patient then seen by his doctors with it. It affected a nerve fom his eye to his ear, and he is in danger of having it affect his vision or hearing. He suffers terribly from post-herpetic neuralgia.
Aspergers does tend to be hereditary, like my neuropathy, and I was wondering
if you thought there was any possibility that you had it? I m very interested in exploring the link between it and nerve disorders. My second son, who only has a few autism spectrum traits, has had several doctors mention Marfan's syndrome to him, as he fits the profile for it. We are all unusually tall with extremely long arms, fingers, and legs, and he has a severely compromised rib cage, caved in, which inhibits heart and lung potential.

I was never certain how many autism spectrum traits displayed by the other two bios were hereditary and how many were the result of being raised by an Aspie mom. My daughter's husband, a special ed teacher, swears she has Apergers, but she is much more functional than my eldest son or me.

After three children we were unable to have any more, and adopted the two youngest. Probably best to stop swimming in this gene pool!

I would be very interested to hear about the connection between Aspergers and nerve wiring, as well as whether you think it is a factor in your issues. As for the numbness and pain in your arms, even after being diagnosed with positive EMG/NCS and skin biopsy for large and small fiber neuropathy, and being on 1800 mg neurontin plus oxycodone as needed, my arms wake me up several times per night, and there is no position in which that will not happen.

If the skin prick test result was abnormal that should be enough to go on. It is unconscionable that they would say it was all in your head. Your symptoms are exactly what many of us here with DXs experience. It is possible your EMG/NCS was done incorrectly.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote