View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 08:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy First Post - PN at 41. Dr's don't care!

Hello to all of you. This site and all of you have literally saved my life. A week ago I felt completely alone, but now I know I am not. This is my first post, but I have been lurking around here for a few weeks. I was diagnosed with diabetic PN in 2008 but felt symptoms in 2005. I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2007 while pregnant and it never went away. My numbers were never terrible, a1c around 6.9. I was devastated by the diagnosis, but was still ok, just always tired, so it was all easily pushed out of my mind. In 2008, after being misdirected to the podiatrist, at a toe hair laser removal session, I did not feel the laser on my toe. I guess most people can barely tolerate it. My laser doc said to get to a neurologist asap. I did, got sent to do a nerve conduction study, and boom. Saw it on the doctors face. His report referred to me as a "very pleasant but unfortunate woman." What did that mean? It meant that I was diagnosed with diabetic PN and I was told it was chronic and had no cure. That's it. I went on oxycodone because I was not functioning bc of pain. Never used drugs in my life except a few weeks post surgery for pain, but was dismissed as a drug seeker by the first two pain clinics I saw. Felt attacked and disheartened. Newly divorced from a physically, emotionally abusive alcoholic, I was raising two little kids on my own. Pain overwhelming. Moved to be near family for awhile but hate Utah. Went off pain meds bc of treatment by condescending drs. In 2011 had to go back on Oxycodone and added Lyrica 600mg, Cymbalta 60 mg. and Metanx. Quit Metanx after 4 months bc it was not covered by Medicaid (a crime!) Two months after quitting Metanx, my nervous system had a complete meltdown. Feet burning like I'm standing in a bucket of acid, nails being driven into my toes, spiders crawling up and down my legs, numbness overtaking my legs up to mid-thigh, a veil of numbness over entire body.New organ symptoms: my lungs feel like they only have half their strength a few hours a day, heart beating fast sometimes, incontinence sometimes at night, jittery and feel unable to do anything but be in bed in the evening. Nauseous if I dare eat. Lost 20 lbs in a month without trying, just too sick to eat. Electrical zapping runs the entire length of my body in random attacks. I started Metanx again and in a week my body has calmed tremendously, zapping gone, incontinence gone! That is a wonder drug! Please try it everyone, for $80 it is a godsend, but a crime that Medicaid doesn't cover it. I am all my kids have and they are young. I must be alive and healthy. My body is betraying me, and the dr's are no help. My current Neuro said, "There is no cure. There is nothing you can do." After being dropped by two pain dr's who wanted a "good" patient who doesn't Google, ask questions, give input or cause them to work very hard, I am at a pain clinic that said, "You are incurable. There is nothing you can do." They want to put me on Morphine when the only pain med that has worked for me is Oxycodone or Oxycontin. He refuses to write for those bc of their "street value." I am sick to death of being treated like a drug addict at the pain clinics. Drug screens, being told what works for my body, being spoken to in a condecending tone. Please, if anyone has any input or ideas for me, I would so appreciate it. I trust the people here more than my own "doctors." Using that word lightly, as they failed to even tell me about B-12 or Metanx. My current a1c is 6.5, sugars at 95 fasting and 100 40 min after a meal. I take 1000 ER Metformin, 60 mg Cymbalta, 600 mg Lyrica, Gabapentin (what is this doing for me?) occasional Ambien 10 mg, occasional Xanax .5 mg. I just quit Lipitor after reading what it does/doesn't do. Could my body be toxic? I have felt like my body is slowly dying since diagnosed with diabetes and going on Metformin and Lipitor. I have started a bunch of vitamins a week ago - B complex, Ginko Biloba, Potassium 595 mg, E-400, DHEA 25 mg, Fish oil, some antioxidants. Already, I feel like my body is coming back to life. I cannot believe the difference. How long do vitamins take to work??What does everyone take for exhaustion? I bought a lot more vitamins last night in hopes of curing myself of this horrendous disease. My family thinks I brought this on myself - that it is all my fault that I have this disorder. That hurts. This site and my kids and dog are all I have in the way of support, so thank you to all of you. Any ideas for me? Because I will not accept that there is nothing I can do to help myself. Everyone's research here is amazing, and I would like to hit my doctors over the head with it. Idiots with a degree. Motivated only by $$$. Sorry for ranting, but I want to take this shameful situation public, the underfunding of PN, the pain and suffering that pain clinics cause, the urgent need for funding, research, and mostly EDUCATING THE DOCTORS. I see the top Neuro in the state and he said to just go to a pain clinic. That's all you got??? Please help me with any opinions on my case. Any magic vitamins or any other treatment?? Many thanks for any input! Mrs. D, help me!!!
MommyN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (08-04-2012)