Thread: Lemonade Stand
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 12:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Lemonade Stand

Not really a lemonade stand but rather the concept of making lemonade out of lemons.

Not really about my own circumstances but how in a small way, people make a difference and make things better.

I read a small article in the local newspaper that the animal shelter only has enough food for one week for their dogs. They were pleading for donations.

DH and I are always love being a part of these projects. A few months ago in the cold weather, donations were being solicited for blankets/warm clothing for a homeless shelter. Back then, I called a few neighbors to see if they wanted to donate. We would drive to the drop off location and pick up a tax form. One neighbor participated.

This time I got the idea to post signs in all the neighboring neighborhoods. People walk their dogs here every morning, take them to the local park, etc.

I offered to be a drop off designation. The animal shelter is about 40 minutes away so a lot of people do not have the time but I would make it easy.

A friend brought her sixth grader and her friend on Wednesday night. A neighbor also came so we had a poster party and made all the signs. The girls made signs for their 'hoods, the moms also are drop off centers.

On Sunday, I will collect their stuff, add it to my stuff and take it to the shelter along with old towels I have saved in the garage for a "someday" trip to a dog shelter.

When we finished the posters for the night, I asked the girls how they felt about themselves for the project. They said they felt good. I answered, "So do I!"

Better than a lemonade stand.

Maybe you can do the same even though there was no article in your local newspaper. We all know the shelters need help, both animal and human. You can be a drop off center for a short time. I started this on Thursday and will deliver the goods on Sunday. The signs will come down.

Or just go to the grocery store and buy a can or two of dog food or a bag. You can even take it to your local vet. I bet one of the people there go to a shelter regularly.

And FYI, I do not own a dog. I do like dogs but I cannot walk a dog, pick up after a dog. I own cats right now.

And a funny side note. On the first day the signs went up we had a LOUD KNOCK on the door. Our mail carrier gave us $25 to go shopping for dog food.

mailman and dog...get it?

p.s. I am not writing this for anyone to tell me I am wonderful. I feel pretty wonderful and you should not feed my swelled ego. I would rather you take the idea and make it your own.
Aarcyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (08-04-2012), azoyizes (08-13-2012), Blessings2You (08-04-2012), Dejibo (08-05-2012), doydie (08-04-2012), Erika (08-05-2012), hollym (08-25-2012), Jules A (08-06-2012), Kitty (08-05-2012), new2net98 (08-23-2012), SallyC (08-07-2012), Sparky10 (08-08-2012), Twinkletoes (08-08-2012)