View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 08:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Wink

Hang in there Eyes Wide Open: (and the rest of ya on this journey through hell:

Having done a lot of research on all of this already, here are some things that MAY be helpful when it comes to getting through this. Some I picked up from others here and sites like this, and some are remedies that have been helpful to me personally:

Nausea
Through your PCP, discuss anti nausea medicine. (Be aware that it can cause drowsiness though... This may be a plus depending on your symptoms, but go into it with your Eyes Wide Open )

BRAT diet - Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast (I added crackers too)

Any fluids that you can tolerate, but stick to something as close to water as you can. Real sugars are better for your tummy than the artificial stuff and High Fructose Corn Syrup as they can intensify the problem and they mess with pain receptors in the brain. Drink as much as you can. If you begin to retain fluids, talk to your PCP about meds/natural diuretics. I am doing a diuretic and it is helping immeasurably. The fluid retention in my legs was becomming painful.

Personally, when I'm starting feel particularly nauseous again, a piece of toast or a couple of crackers really help. After 4 weeks of total withdrawal (and 3 weeks of tapering prior to that,) I still cannot eat a whole meal in one sitting and find that when I wake up, I've got to get food in my stomach IMMEDIATELY or it gets even worse.

Headaches
Although it is tempting to take more drugs to aleviate all this pain and distress, try to avoid taking anything until/unless it is really bad. The typical over the counter aids, Motrin, Tylenol, etc. will help, but they can mess with your tummy and the ultimate goal is to detox... Just a thought. Again though, why suffer? Its a toss up... Perhaps there are some homeopathic remedies available as well.

Tremors/Convulsions/Seizures
This is definately a PCP issue, but, one of the ER doctors started me on magnesium. It helped to calm the muscles. I did not have full blown Gran Mal seizures though. If someone hits that point, they need urgent attention. I experienced convulsions where different muscle groups would tighten up really bad and was unable to control that muscle group while in the midst of it. Those areas were especially fatigued and sore afterwards. Kind of like a charliehorse. When I was in the midst of one of these attacks, I would think calming thoughts and would muster every ounce of my energy to relax. I did find that having a family member calmly talk me through them was very helpful... I suppose that depends on the person though... right?

Insomnia
Melatonin is a homeopathic/natural remedy for sleep issues ranging from inability to fall asleep to inability to maintain sleep. My personal experience was that I was only able to sleep for an hour or two at a time in the first two weeks. Knowing how important restorative sleep is to the body, especially for those of us with Fibromyalgia AND going through withdrawal, I took it. In that first 2 weeks, (even with the Melatonin,) I was only able to sleep for 3-4 hours. I am not sure whether my sleep issue was a rhythm problem or that I would awaken in a sweat or in pain or with convulsions... I only took it that first 2 weeks and am now sleeping 5-6 hours per night without it and feel rested when I awake. They make a melt in your mouth tablet that was easier for me personally. I am having a hard time swallowing pills without gagging.

Pain
Arnica is natural pain reliever. Check with your homeopathic store or online for more information. I personally am in a lot of pain from the Fibromyalgia and Degenerative Disc Disease, and was told by someone locally who refuses western medicine that he has found particular success with it. I am going to start it myself next week and will update here on my success with it in a week or two.

Irritability/Anxiety/Panic/Mood Swings, Etc.
Be wary of starting any new drugs for these issues. Remember, it is not a reality. These are symptoms of withdrawal and what you are experiencing is a chemical reaction, not an actual psychological disorder (unless you already had an issue with that before the Lyrica.) The DSM IV states that to give a diagnosis, these symptoms must be present for 3-6 months. Even if you have suffered with it that long, unless you had a problem with it prior to ingesting Lyrica, it is the Lyrica, not a new problem for you to concern yourself over.

Talk with people you trust. Avoid those you don't.

Invest in yourself. Meditate or pray or do visualizations... Basically, find a way that works for you personally, to get your mind empty. You've got to take all this moment by moment. You can't make plans. You have to trust that the anxiety or panic or whatever word you use to describe the emotional distress and even moments of fear that may enter your psyche, are not real. They feel real, but there is no immenent threat. There is not going to be a new, permanent, mental health problem for you to deal with. This will go away. It may be upwards of 6 months (as some have posted - I am only a month into this so I can't speak to that,) but it will go away.

Find positive words/mantras that you can tell yourself in those moments. Find relaxing music or guided meditations/visualizations. (Check out your local library or itunes for free options here...) Take a warm bath if that helps. Watch a movie to distract yourself. Have a friend or family member on speed dial if you find it helpful to talk to someone when your are in the midst of one of these attacks, but be sure that they understand that this is not a new mental health problem and that you only need help in getting through these until your body has been able to completely detox. This is a special kind of relationship and you want to be sure that if you chose to talk to someone, that they won't make things worse; that they'll listen, console, and not try to fix anything. Nothing is broken. It just feels like it. You also want to protect your relationships. Be sure if you chose to talk to someone that they can handle it. You don't want to lose or damage delicate relationships because of this. It will all be over soon and you'll want those relationships to help you get back on your feet when it is.

Do whatever it takes to get through the moment. Then, take solace and find strength in knowing that you did it. After a few of these, you'll come to recognize them and you'll find what works for you. You'll be emotionally strengthened by knowing that you got through the last one and the one before that.

Sweats/Chills/Fevers
Unfortunately, I have no suggestions other than doing what it takes to get through the moment when they come on. Nothing has been beneficial for me in this area aside from warm baths, standing in front of the freezer with the door wide open and sweaters with the AC blasting. However, it is getting better. The bouts are fewer in between, less intense and don't last as long as when it first started.

General Thoughts
This is a time for you to take care of yourself. If you have others that you must care for, get help... I know this is difficult and you may have to be creative, but it is necessary. This is not one of those things where you just need pampering. This is a serious situation.

Massage can be quite beneficial as well. If you don't have a massage therapist on speed dial, search out someone who can use massage to detoxify your body. It is called lymphatic drainage massage. Reflexology based massage can also help with Fibromyalgia pains.

Physical Movement is really important here. Your body needs you to get up and get moving. From personal experience, I can't do it on a set schedule like when I'm trying to get into shape and I can't do it to extremes. So when I am in a good place, I put on my walking shoes and my earphones and hit the street for a slow, but paced, walk. The music keeps my mind off my body and my predicament, and the physical movement is good to get things moving through your body so that you can be done with all of this as quickly as possible. The water is also a very good option. If you have access to a pool or the beach or any body of water where you can submerge yourself and just gently kick or walk or glide, it will help. The water relieves your body of the weight of gravity and it also adds resistance so you can do less with more benefit. I have a pool and have propped myself up on the kick board or a floaty and just slowly moved around the pool; sometimes kicking, sometimes walking or just paddling slowly and gently. If you know how to float and trust that you won't drown, floating is a good way to relax and get your mind free and your body at peace.

Good Luck! I hope something here helps!
HappyGoLucky is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
akdew13 (03-23-2014)