View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 11:47 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne523 View Post
Hi everyone

I have found some great ideas/suggestions on the "RSD lifesavers" thread. Now I am asking for some more ideas. My RSD is left hand/arm and have issues of right hand from overuse for the last 1 1/2 years. I have adapted many ways to get things done....but does anyone have any helpful ways of getting things done 1 handed? Last month my OT gave me rocker knife and I was so happy to be able to cut some of my own food. It was a small thing for him, but BIG for me. i haven't figured out how to tie shoes one handed..and the list goes on and on.
Well, I am in the same boat, the same part of my body has been affected for the last 6 months. The funny thing is that every MD, nurse, therapist etc. ask whether I am right or left hand dominate (right) and then comment on how fortunate I am that it is not my right hand, I laugh inwardly every time for unless someone has the experience of suffering the use or major limitation of a hand/arm it really makes no difference which side is crippled. In short many thing I once did "right handed', I now do "left handed" because the left cannot play the support role for the right has it always has done.

I have to ask for help from my wife often, cutting food is a big one. MY shoes I just have laced loosely so that I can slip them on. I can tie shoes but not very tight and I avoid it, but when I do I pull the laces tight with my right, then trap the tensioned laces with my left on up the shoe/boot, however, I cannot tie them up tight as I would like.

I cannot fold clothes, typing is very painful, the pain in my finger tips is akin to a small hammer smacking my fingers at every key stroke and the knuckles/wrist ache fiercely. Putting on socks is slow and painful, I cannot squeeze toothpaste from a tube and so on. I cannot carry even 1lb more than a few feet before the pain becomes too intense, so I tuck soft light items under my left arm and trap it against my body

The most important thing I found is to keep at it, keep trying to do those little things with the affected side at every opportunity, stretch and massage your left hand several times a days, make it a habit !
AK76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
stressedout (08-07-2012)