View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 02:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Small Fiber Neuropathy-B12 and Proton pump inhibitor for GERD

I am a 79 year old male and do not have Diabetes.
I was diagnosed Small Fiber Neuropathy about 2 months ago. I have numness in my lower legs and toes. My legs burn while I sleep and cause me to get up frequently.

I use MsD's Metanx equivalent. I have tried Amytripaline for a month and Gabapentin for a month but both caused serious constipation and did little to control the pain while sleeping. I can contend with the crazy pain and numbness during the day because I stay physically active, I don't have a rocking chair!

I have been using Omeprazole (Proron pump anhibitor) for over 20 years for GERD, during the 30 years before that I ate thousands of Tums and Rolaids.

I understand Omeprazole negatively affects B12 absorbtion. Will it also affect the absorbtion of Methylcobalamin? I take 5000Mg of Methylcobalamin and 20 Mg Omeprazole each morning with a cup of coffee (half decaf), I eat cereal and drink a glass of orange juice about 30 minutes later and 2400 Mg Fish oil and 720 Mg Omega-3 after that.

If Omeprazole negatively affects B12 absorbtion are their other choices, possibly supplements or OTC, that will prevent GERD?

Last edited by nodsirrah; 08-05-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Brain malfunction!!!!
nodsirrah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote