View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 04:31 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodsirrah View Post
I am a 79 year old male and do not have Diabetes.
I was diagnosed Small Fiber Neuropathy about 2 months ago. I have numness in my lower legs and toes. My legs burn while I sleep and cause me to get up frequently.

I use MsD's Metanx equivalent. I have tried Amytripaline for a month and Gabapentin for a month but both caused serious constipation and did little to control the pain while sleeping. I can contend with the crazy pain and numbness during the day because I stay physically active, I don't have a rocking chair!

I have been using Omeprazole (Proron pump anhibitor) for over 20 years for GERD, during the 30 years before that I ate thousands of Tums and Rolaids.

I understand Omeprazole negatively affects B12 absorbtion. Will it also affect the absorbtion of Methylcobalamin? I take 5000Mg of Methylcobalamin and 20 Mg Omeprazole each morning with a cup of coffee (half decaf), I eat cereal and drink a glass of orange juice about 30 minutes later and 2400 Mg Fish oil and 720 Mg Omega-3 after that.

If Omeprazole negatively affects B12 absorbtion are their other choices, possibly supplements or OTC, that will prevent GERD?
I have been taking PPI's for over 7 years now. I dont have any issue with Vitamin B12 Absorption. Take the 5000Mg of Methylcobalamin as soon as you wake up. Wait 30 mins and then take your PPI. Ofcourse everyonwe is different as far as how we abosorb. I would recommend you get you B levels check via blood test. Its simple to do and will take the guess work out.

You can also split the pill in half and take 2500 in morning and take another 2500 before dinner or at night.
bent98 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote