View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen AR View Post
I fear that I am bringing up a topic that has been visited many times before. I do apologize. I have read all of the threads, but now I am really confused! I have MS and extreme constipation. Fiber, flax-seed oil and lots of fruits and vegetables have not helped. My neurologist suggested Magnesium, but I now realize that there are many different forms. I purchased Magnesium Oxide and it has not helped. After reading the posts, I believe that Magnesium Oxide was not the correct type. Which form of Magnesium would be most beneficial to treat constipation, and how much per day? Thank you...

I take a pretty high dose of narcotics for my spine pain and PN of legs and feet. The constipation has caused many problems. I was using Miralax; but evidently not enough to refrain from forcing. Eventually forced my bladder almost out and had to have Cystocele surgery to put bladder in sling. Once bladder moved over; the small bowel came down and have had Rectocele surgery. My doctor told me to take, if needed, something daily; but do not force or Rectocele will come back. Well, since Miralax wasn't doing too well, I changed to Phillips Milk of Magnesia which has Magnesium hydroxide. I still suffer from some constipation even tho I take almost daily and still need to force with frequent small movements daily. Never empty. My Rectocele is back.

This week, the constipation got so bad, I did take half a bottle 5oz. of Magnesium Citrate. It usually comes in a 10 oz. bottle. Can get without prescription from most pharmacies. Also this is used in larger doses for colonoscopies. A lot of cramping and a sense of not feeling too well; but have been able to finally clean out. The only thing, when taking around the clock narcotics..OxyContin and Oxycodone for breakthru, the need for around the clock laxative is needed. I immediately go back into constipation. Have to start the Phillips of Magnesia at least a few times..a.m. and p.m. instead of once a day.

Kinda got a bit lenghty; but depending, I guess, how bad the constipation how strong and how often makes a difference. For now, will continue with Phillips Milk of magnesia. And, if needed, every month or so clean out with 5 oz. of Magnesium Citrate. Don't like to use that too often because it is really very strong. But when desperate will use; but not more than once a month.

Very important to drink at least 8 oz water when taking laxative, as well as drinking plenty of water throughout the day.

(Gerry)
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote