View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 09:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hello again. Sorry I have been absent for so long. I'll try to answer some questions here and catch everyone up.
I couldn't handle the pain meds so I stopped taking the gabapentin. I can barely tolerate hydrocodone. I take half a dose when only when I am in so much pain that I can't take it anymore. It doesn't really fix the pain it just makes me loopy so I no longer care about the pain. I hate feeling that way.
I was seeing a pt in Bloomington at the IU sports rehab facility. Kristine Hack is amazing. She worked with me very well and adapted many exercises just for me. However 4 weeks into therapy I couldn't tolerate the pain anymore. Everything we did caused a flair-up. Even with the modifications. I ended up in the er with migraines triggered by the flair-ups. One trip to the er was on my wedding day. I felt awful all day on my wedding day. Not the kind of day you dream of. Kristine was wonderful but she couldn't help me, my muscles are just too tight. She said on many occasions that they were like concrete.

My firtst surgery is on August 16, my 25th birthday is the 17. Nice timing.
Dr. Thompson is going to do a scalenectomy, first rib resection and split both pec minors. I know it's a lot. And he is kinda throwing the kitchen sink at me, but I truly believe that is what I need.

I chose Dr. T over Dr. Donahue for several reasons.
1. The Botox treatment Dr. Donahue does is a bandaid not a cure. Just pt is not enough to help me.
2. I live in Indiana, and am not made of money. Dr Donahue wanted me to fly back and forth every 6-8 weeks. That is not an option for me.
3. His secretary is not kind or helpful. She was mean and rude every time I talked to her.
4. It was pretty clear to me early on that I have tos bad. Not a mild case. I knew that I would probably need surgery. Dr. Thompson is just better at them. He does 6 or so each week. He knows what he is doing and most people get better. Dr. Donahue told me that he only does surgery as a last resort. He then said maybe there is someone out there who gives everyone surgery and everyone gets better. But that's not the way he does it. I found that someone. If you don't need surgery stick with Dr. Donahue. He is great. Even if you might need surgery he is great. He's just too far for me to travel.

Jess
Jlorainne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
parbie (08-06-2012)