View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 08:13 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

In my case, SSA had the VS at my hearing, it was nothing that my lawyer or I arranged.

I've only heard of the VS being arranged by the SSA.

I'm guessing they do it when they (SSA) question if there is other work an applicant could do. I believe that it's fairly routine for them to have a VS present. I don't know that they ALWAYS have one, but I always assumed that was the case. I believe that is part of the 'proof' they need to make a decision.....that someone who is an expert in what types of jobs are available in most areas and what types of physical needs can be accomodated, who would have to have the VS designation, must testify before a judge can say that there are no jobs an applicant can do because of their disability, therefor an 'approval' is indicated.....or there are jobs that are not contraindicated by the applicant's physical abilities, so it would be appropriate to 'deny' the application.

I'm 47 now, but became disabled when I was 39. I was 40 when I applied.....and a college graduate. Perhaps the SSA understood that I wouldn't be able to return to active duty nursing, but maybe they were hoping that I could work at a desk job of some sort.

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote