View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 03:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent98 View Post
I am curious to know what your PN symptoms and what partof your body did they appear? When did they first appear? How long before your symptoms went away after discontinuing te PPI? Did you ever get your Vitamin levels checked via a blood test while on the PPIs?
My symptoms started out as mild dizziness, funny swallowing feeling and short term memory loss. This started in 2009. Symtoms progressed to numbess in foot soles and tingling in finger tips by early 2010. Muscle facilations, cold feet and hypersensitivity on areas of body ( scalp tingling, weird sensations on different parts of the body) also followed.

Two MRI's , upper GI, barium swallow and a few blood tests yielded nothing. Vitamin B test was normal( around 500) , but unfortunately I already started taking those B12 supplements so those results are inconclusive. I had a NVC and EMG performed which proved that I had mild to moderate PN. Doctor admited that he didn't know what was causing it , but implied my alcohol consumption was likely the cause. I asked about Prilosec and he said it was perfectly safe without any side effects related to my condition. He said there was nothing that could be done for me and offered me neurotin when the pain became less manageable. I stopped going to see neurologists after that experience.

I don't have documented clinical proof that the PPI's were the reason for my PN. I have based it on my experiences since stopping them. I'm convinced they are a large part of my problem.

I lost weight, improved my eating habits, stopped drinking for about 6 months, and stopped taking Prilosec in 2010. I have made very slow but definite progress since then. I still drink, but limit my consumption to 3 or less beers a day. Taking B12 initially caused me to feel "hyper" for several weeks. I then combined it with methylfolate and experienced a very gittery anxious feeling. Hard to explain but It would be something like drinking 12 cups of super strong coffee an an empty stomach type feeling. This experience receded and went away altogether after a few weeks. I take all of the usual supplements recommended on this forum.

Memory has improved significantly. Dizziness is rare, but still comes up once in a while. Tingling and numbness come and go , but have diminished in intensity over time. Flares appear to be further apart. Also, I have recently taken good quality magnesium for about 4-5 months now which have removed my cold feet issues. I feel it is very likely that the nutrients requiring stomach acid to work were not properly being aborbed and caused nutritional deficiencies over time. My reactions to taking B12, folate and magnesium point to a deficiency of these nutrients within my body. Time will tell if I make further improvement.
karsten is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (08-07-2012), portree (01-14-2013)