View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 03:59 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question what exactly does "Sensorimotor Polyneuropathy" mean?

Okay, so I'm totally new to this thread, and super confused. I started having sciatica issues the weekend before Christmas in 2011.

I was put on bedrest and given medications, and referred to an orthopedic dr, who spent 6 months finding out absolutely nothing. (Mri of my lumbar was normal except for very mild lumbar stenosis and scoliosis. The weird part was 3 years prior to this, he told me I had a degenerated disc in my L5-S1, but now says it's "fine?") He's never even examined me. I've never pointed out my pain location to him, he literally stands in the doorway for every appointment. I'm ******. He also made me fill out a form and highlight and underline paperwork that promised that I wouldn't sell or misuse the medication he was giving me. Way to make me feel like a drug addict.

Anyway, I begged for a neurology consult. Got one. Did a nerve conduction test, and pretty much failed everything on it. Conclusion of the test suggests "sensorimotor polyneuropathy and possible L5-S1 radiculopathy."

The biggest problem is that I went from having sciatica (which presented as just a mild burning sensation and lower back pain) to near constant electric throbbing in my entire right leg, both arms, and now my face. It's been 8 months, and now my entire right side is affected, and I can't get 3 doctors to communicate with me or each other.

I'm in so much pain, constantly. I drag my right foot, limp, I wake up PARALYZED a couple nights a week, I get shocked in the face when I'm eating or talking. I smell burnt rubber or cat urine instead of yummy cooking smells (yes, I feel crazy about this, but i'm positive that it's neurological.) and I keep getting super dizzy. Also, my inflammation rate was 85 last time I was tested, and my cortisol levels were very low. I've had my thyroid removed several years back, and my levels are *normal,* if that means anything to anyone

I have three babies that I love, and a husband I cherish. I'm only 23, and most days I bite people's heads off because I'm so cranky and in so much pain, I can't handle it.

Does this sound like MS to anyone? Or anything else? What exactly is periphreal neuropathy? Is it sensorimotor neuropathy? If I sound like an idiot, it's because I'm so confused. I was thinking I had lupus or arthritis and now it's in a whole different ballpark.
Chekithearts is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote