View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I am surprised that rmshavers friend has had success with a neuro's help with the school. NeuroPsych's and Ed Psych's are usually the go to professionals. Neuro's can be hit and miss with generic concussion protocols.

If you are fortunate to find such an involved neuro, be sure to ask for input.

Having lived through high school and college with roller coastering PCS and from observing others struggling to get worthwhile IEP's (504) for their PCS kids, I don't have a lot of faith in the schools. IEP's are a huge drain on school finances so most schools are very reluctant to provide thorough programs.

Plus, I am extremely biased in favor of homeschooling a high achiever who is struggling with traditional school programs. I encourage you to consider systems such as Khan Academy to help her progress with her math and science subjects. The videos have a good timing of presentation of information that, in my observations, fits the needs of PCS very well. Check out http://www.khanacademy.org/

My school experience with PCS gave me great insight into the math and sciences. I went from being the one everyone wanted to sit next to to cheat to struggling to make Honor Society grades. As a high school freshman, I challenged freshman honors Algebra 1a and passed. I took sophomore Honors geometry and excelled.

I suffered my concussion first quarter of my sophomore year. My Honors Algebra II class, biology, and chem were serious struggles. I struggled to memorize formulas and facts. My worst struggle was test taking. I would freeze up under the stress. No amount of pleading from my neuro and the school nurse was able to get any accommodations. My prior excellent grades was the teachers' reasons to not offer help.

I eventually dropped out of college due to my inconsistency at making the grades I needed to get into dental school.

But then, this is just my experience. Your daughter may do better. Nobody can predict her success.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
2girlswithPCS (08-13-2012)