View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 08:23 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I was supposed to have a vestibular therapy assessment done today, but after a few basic tests, the physio decided that it was pointless to continue with the vestibular testing until we address the gait issues.

She could not believe that at 6 months following my accident it had never been suggested that I should be using an assistive device (cane, walker). But really, until my brain injury rehab clinic appointment a few weeks ago, I wasn't really that aware of what an issue my gait was.

The physio felt that my family doc really dropped the ball, but whatever. So now I have a cane that I'm to use every time I leave the house (she said it wasn't as necessary to use it inside) and hopefully the cane will provide enough stability that I will be able to slower adjust to have a narrower stance.

She's given me a bunch of exercises to work on and feels that in 3 weeks my gait should be quite improved with using the cane and by doing the exercises.

Then, if its improved at my next appointment she will try to do the vestibular assessment then.

I do feel more stable using the cane... I can only use it in my left hand, if I try it with my right, I can't seem to coordinate it with my left leg. Since its not for an orthopedic injury, she wants me to practice using it on both sides, so neither side gets too dependent on it. So I will have to work at coordinating my right hand and left leg.

The physio feels that much of the gait issue could've been avoided had someone got me using a walker early on after my fall. She said its harder to retrain to walk than it is to intervene early and prevent such issues.

Overall, I was happy enough with the appointment, this physio deals only with vestibular issues and brain injury rehab patients, mostly in a hospital setting and has for about 20 years.

Best part was not having to do the vestibular assessment that they warned me might make me feel sick and possibly vomit
Starr
"Starr" is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote