View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 05:09 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
I think it can go further than that. Before my diagnosis, while my health was declining, I didn't want to admit that I was as sick as I was. In the back of my mind I was afraid I was dying of MS, so I stopped going to my neurologist (who was no help anyway, but that's another story), further more I bought a manual sports car, which I was in no position to get rid of once my illness progressed to the point that I was having trouble driving it (and I could see that day coming when I bought it--I now love my car, btw).

My point is, though, that I could see all this coming and was not willing to admit to myself that I was in a period of relative calm before a storm.
What you are describing is denial, which is a phase many (not only MG) patients go through.

What I was referring to is that medical text-books and patient booklets describe MG very differently than what it really is. This (in my opinion) leads to unrealistic expectations, frustration and lack of serious clinical research.

I also think that the fact that your neurologist was of no help is not a different story, but part of the same story.