View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 10:56 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent98 View Post
I was always confused which supplement counteract with other ones. I always thought you needed to take 2:1 ratio Calcium to magnesium.
Someone also told me that even if you blood tests show your magnesium levels as being in range you could still have absorption problems while on the PPI. Not sure if that’s possible.

Last time I had my blood work done my calcium, mag, zinc, potassium, etc... were all in range.

I came across this page that talks about some of the different interactions and deficiencies people could have based on their bodies absorption and spinal alignment,

http://www.acu-cell.com/mr.html
I agree that it is very confusing. Some studies now suggest a 1:1 ratio is better. The ideal ratio for any individual will vary depending on their current conditions as well as risk factors for deficiency. Some magnesium risk factors include drinking carbonated beverages, eating refined sweets, drinking excess coffee/tea,high stress, consuming alcoholic beverages , and using certain medications to name a few. Conversely, calcium risk factors also exist!

Testing magnesium levels can be tricky. Often they are done using blood serum testing. The problem is only about 1% of magnesium in the body is actually found in blood, and much smaller amounts are found in blood serum. Other tests do exist for more accurate results.

There are some published reports listing recommended amounts for people of varying ages. I use this as a rough guideline as well.
karsten is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote