View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 12:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Chek, and welcome. Lots of good people here. Im a 20yr veteran/survivor of MS. I was 22yrs old married with 2 small babies at home when I was dx. Scared didnt even describe what I felt. Let me tell ya tho, this dx hits everyone differently.

I worked in nursing and saw alot of MS pts and it scared me to death that I would end up like them and they didnt even have it for 7yrs! Well, Im still walking, albeit with a cane and walker, but Im still on my feet. I raised my 3 kids (yes, I had another baby after my dx) I met my current dh 10yrs ago, 10yrs after my dx, and he loved me and still married me. My point, life doesnt stop, and you can live a very normal and fulfilling life with a dx.

Dont let it freak you out. The panic button has been pushed and that is VERY normal. Stop, breathe, and take it one day at a time. There are so many more treatments out there now for this than there was when I was dx. Ive had it for 20yrs, and lots others have had it even longer and they are still on their feet and functioning.

As for the tests, an LP will show if you have o-bands (not sure what it stands for) and that is a positive for MS. It also checks for other things in the spinal fluid as well, but others may be able to tell you more on that. My brain stopped at o-bands. As for the MRI's, it show leasions, whether on the brain, neck or spine. Location of the lesions is more important than the number of lesions, or so Ive been told. I hope this helps some.

There is more access to great information now via internet, etc than there was years ago. So like Sally said, pull up a chair, and soak up the support of everyone here. We'll be right by your side on this crazy ride, your not alone
Flare Oct 2011
Flare Dec 2011
Left disabled after 2 previous flares
Betaseron '02, Copaxone '12, Tecfidera '13
(allergic reaction to all)
No longer taking any MS therapy meds
KittyLady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chekithearts (08-09-2012), SallyC (08-09-2012)