View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 06:31 PM
nancyjoy

nancyjoy

Default the journey of BMS

To those of you who are suffering from BMS: I am new to this site. I have been a BMS sufferer since 1996. My journey through this ailment has certainly been depressing. I have worried about amazingly serious diseases that I may have. I have been treated my family with coarseness because I could not get a handle on what was going on in my mouth. I went to see at least 9 different doctors - all of who could not tell me what was going on.

There were not any signs of distress in my mouth. Just once - I got a diagnoses of candida. I was overjoyed as I took the medication. It didn't do anything for my BMS. It was only after about a year of searching and just by luck I saw someone posting about his mouth burning that I starting learning about this HORRIBLE syndrome that I could learn what was going on with me. It is important that anyone suffering from this illness find the right information.
I felt overwhelming gratitude to that unknown guy - I, at least, had a name for what I had. I took this info to my dentist who did some deep research. I was then sent to the University of Minnesota Dentistry Department. They were amazing. And knew what it was (albeit just a little).

BMS is a multi-sectional problem.
For me, it was nutritional (B-12), nerve (I had a cervical fusion) and mental (STRESS). I was prescribed Klonopin (small dose). It was a GOD-SEND! That I had a doctor who knew what was what - that I had a name to what I was experiencing - and that I had a medication that could help. Those of you who are suffering, and I know the agonizing suffering that you are feeling, please know that there is help out there for you! My dentist (bless him) gave me a candy recipe to ease the pain. It was basically peanut brittle (without the peanuts) but cayenne pepper added.
That was great, but I love cold apple juice with an 1/8 tsp. (or more if you like) cayenne pepper stirred in. I know it doesn't seem likely - but the cayenne burn fights the BMS - and wins. I do take klonopin (0.5 mg. - 3 tablets daily). My University doctor told me to suck on them - they are minty. I have never taken more than that prescribed dose. If there are times when I find the burning more than usual, I have some cayenne in some form. Cayenne pepper is great in juice, tea or even coffee. I know this is an incredibly long post - and I am not going to go through and correct misspellings, etc. -- just know that you are not alone and that you can get your life back.

Burning Mouth Syndrome now has a spotlight that it never had back in 1996. Good luck to all of you. Know that there is help out there even if your doctor says he/she doesn't know what is going on.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote