View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 03:35 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

So sorry,,I should be more specific with that.

PNS or Peripheral Neuro Stimulator is basically a neurostimulator that has be used to help chronic nerve pain in backs for years only it is being tried in an experimental capacity for TN.

If you google neuro stimulator you will get the basic idea of what it is and how it works,,or you can look at the thread here under TN that is listed as PNS,,, it probably has 35pages so I'd only read the last few there is plenty of info there to help you understand the procedure so I won't cover that here..

The bigger issue is are you a candidate (I have ATN and was lucky to respond well) and because it is still considered experimental for TN,, where to have it done. There are only a few places that have been doing it long enough to know what they are doing and where you can be confident of good results.
The other issue is programming...the Rep from the company that makes the unit is not qualified to program them for TN,, they haven't been trained to so even if you go to a great Surgeon and he does a great job if you don't have the proper programmer to back it up you've wasted the effort.

The other issue is insurance,,just because it's experimental doesn't mean that your company won't cover it especially if it comes from a clinic and an MD well known for doing these for TN and with good results..

I was lucky enough to go to the Cleveland Clinic and I'm biased but that's where I'd recommend,, yes because I had good results but more so because I have medicare because of my TN and other disabilities...and they are notorious for declining stuff like this and I had my approval back in two weeks...because it was from Cleveland and because of the MD...no question about it...

He said to me at my first visit ,,well we will be doing you in about 6 weeks and that's because of yhe holidays (I saw him the week before Thanksgiving) I thought he was crazy,,that there was no way it would be that fast,,my procedure was in mid-January and that's because I had to push it back because of travel arrangements......

I have no doubt that other insurance companies may be different but if MEDICARE approved it then most any insurance company will sooner or later...

There is a lot entailed with getting a PNS system and they are not perfect.the TN isn't gone it's another tool to help control thr pain but for many it can be a 60-80% reduction in pain....,,mine is somewhere about 70%...

If you want you can private message me as well and I can give you whatever help I can...I can also call you,,if possible,, and help explain or answer any questions..... FYI there is a hospital in Chicago but I don't care for the units they use I don't think they work as well for TN and a place in Colorado...there is probably someone who knows more about that one and recently a hospital in Tampa has begun doing them but I don't have much info on them yet...

Hope that helps....Beth
BethO2L is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote