View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 08:34 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Glad your doctor listened, that can be a huge relief in its own right.

I have no experience with the buspar, but I can comment on the zyrtec and sudafed for the fluid behind your ear drums. The zyrtec is an antihistimine which is great and may possibly prevent more fluid from forming, but you NEED the decongestant action of sudafed to dry up the fluid. Same idea as drying out your sinuses.

I've been through the fluid behind the eardrum scenario as an adult (not a child) and had to get tubes put in to drain the fluid when regular drug treatments (like above) failed.

Having tubes put in your ears as an adult kinda sucks, they are less likely to put you under (as they do kids) and you just have to lie very still while they make the incision and wiggle the tube in. Hurts a lot! (I had it done on 3 occasions) Then of course, once the tubes are in, you can't get your ears wet, so you must use ear plugs, even to shower! A real pain. You really want to avoid getting ear tubes if possible.

Another thing that can help with clearing the fluid is to try not to lay down as much and when you do, don't lay flat. I know that's counter to getting rest for your brain, but being more upright does assist with getting rid of the fluid.

You can also use the nasal sprays with decongestant and that will help, but do coordinate all the OTC drugs with the pharmacist. There's a prescription nasal spray that i had some success with for my ears that I can't remember the name of... if it comes to me, I'll post again.

Best of luck, fluid behind your ear drums is annoying and can cause all sorts of problems from dizziness to temporary hearing loss to balance issues and ear pain.

Starr
"Starr" is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (08-10-2012)