View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 02:41 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Never apologize to us,,we have all been there.

I would think that because you are so young they are not considering TN as an option,,it "usually" hits people who are older,,, however if you read through any of these threads you will find many people who are young who are effected with TN.

As well,, many MD's never see a case of TN,, EVER,, so don't assume that it is completely because they are not listening..

It sounds like TN but don't jump on the ATN diagnosis until you have seen a Neurologist,,which is your next step.

Contact your GP and tell them the truth,, that you have been in extreme pain (if it is interfering with your daily life that much and you have missed that much work ,,it constitutes as extreme or severe) and you have been researching your symptoms and you STRONGLY believe that you may have TN and you would like a referral to a Neurologist and can he/she recommend a good one in your local area.

Call immediately,, do not wait for your ENT,,if you have TN you won't need that follow up appointment anyway.. If you have to push for the referral do it,, They can't judge your pain,,only you can,, so don't let anyone try and diminish what you are feeling...

When you get your appointment with a Neuro,, write down everything you are feeling,,in fact if you can start keeping a pain journal,,do it... when your pain is worst , what sets it off,, where it is,,how it feels..
Also write down every question you have before you go in....trust me, we all forget when we get in that appointment,,,I've had ATN for 10 years and I still write all my questions down ahead of time...

A good Neuro will examine you and then ask you about your pain,, that's why having a journal is such a good idea...then he should give you a chance to ask anything you need to,, but stay open to the possibility that it is not TN,,there are still many things it could be.
They should order an MRI/MVA ( the contrast part of the MRI) to rule out other issues not to rule in TN.. Then they should put you on a low dose of Tegretol and tell you to call back in a few days to see if it helps with the pain. If you have any pain relief,,, well that's how they diagnosis TN...
from there it becomes a delicate balance of finding out if they can find a dose of Tegretol that you can tolerate and that controls your pain otherwise they will try a variety of other meds that all work the same way but react to everyone's system differently...There is probably a med that will help manage your pain (not completely relieve it) that you will also be able to manage the side effects....

So.. that's a quick run down of what to expect...if you need more help feel free to private message me and maybe we can work out a time to talk...

Whatever the diagnosis,, come back and let us know..OK??? Hang in there,, you can get the treatment you need you just may have to push a little to get it,,,,because in the end,, what does your MD have to loose by giving you a referral??? nothing.. So if you have to push,,push,, but really it shouldn't be that difficult if you explain to your MD what's happening to you as clearly as you've explained it here....you can do this...good luck.....
Beth
BethO2L is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote