View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 02:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

MG remission is different from classical remission (cancer remission = no more cancer.) Our bodies create antibodies all the time and some of them attack the neuromuscular junction... this is just the way it is. A MG "remission" is when your condition is well controlled and stable. It is really the wrong term to be using, but we do and a lot of our neuros do too.

As I understand it, the only hope for a real remission is to blow away the immune system with chemo therapy drugs and rebuild it. This comes with its own risks obviously. For me, this is not worth it - my MG is not bad enough to justify this gamble. If it were, I'd reconsider.

I'm in "remission" in that I get through the day on mestinon only and my MG is not getting worse. I work 8-10 hours everyday (from my home office so that I don't pick up anything nasty from the work office.) I can comfortably walk 3 miles once or twice a week and during the winter I can go skiing with my daughter. BUT I still have some rough days and wouldn't think of going for my 5km walk on one of them. The trick is to learn to listen to your body and if it is saying "don't you dare" ... just don't (you'll pay for it on the other end.)

So, yeah, a lot of people would say I live a "normal" life... it can happen.
Brennan068 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
StephC (08-17-2012)