View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 05:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default When Gabapentin doesn't work, what's next?

Saw the doc today, I am up to 300mg of Gabapentin twice a day. I couldn't handle more, and my brain just isn't working like it should. I have a hard time remember the right words and carrying on conversation. Typing is easier. Doc said he wants me at least on a lesser dose and I should start something else. He recommended Norpramin, Trileptal or Cymbalta, I have to let him know what I want after researching. Do any of these work without causing a bunch more side effects? I get migraines and have a sensitive stomach. I take Wellbutrin 300mg a day. I used to take Effexor years ago and I HATE that, I don't want anything even close to it again. I'm also on a generic only insurance plan (but will be changing it in Nov). I'm also starting thyroid meds (not related to this, just a surprise when the blood tests came back) and have been taking a big B vitamin daily.

In little words that a kid can understand, because I feel totally stupid lately, please let me know what some of you have done next and what some of these have done to you.

Also, my pain is from a 2nd/3rd degree burn. Doc claims he doesn't know what is causing it, says I might develop Diabetes in the future, but since I've had that tested quite a few times and know I don't have type II, I asked him if I'll get better or not and he couldn't/wouldn't answer. He said the symptoms are like a diabetic.

Is this something I have to deal with forever? Will it get better eventually? Am I going to be drugged up forever? I'm really worried about work and the future. I have a great job and can't do it if I'm stupid or drugged out all the time. And I can't work if I'm in pain either.

I guess the appt was a little depressing. Here, take more medicine, and no answer to anything.
chaos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote