View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos View Post
Also, my pain is from a 2nd/3rd degree burn. Doc claims he doesn't know what is causing it, says I might develop Diabetes in the future, but since I've had that tested quite a few times and know I don't have type II, I asked him if I'll get better or not and he couldn't/wouldn't answer. He said the symptoms are like a diabetic.

Is this something I have to deal with forever? Will it get better eventually? Am I going to be drugged up forever?
In this case, I'd try assuming for the moment that you're diabetic, make dietary changes as if you were (eliminate sugar, etc.), and see if your symptoms get any better. Some people are "pre-diabetic" or "glucose intolerant" and can still develop PN. There are some folks in this group (self included) who test negative for diabetes, yet sugar can be a trigger (make their PN symptoms worse).

When you say, "my pain is from a 2nd/3rd degree burn" do you mean that you received a burn that is causing pain, or that the PN causes burning pain that feels like a 2nd/3rd degree burn?

Many of us experience burning pain with PN; it's a common symptom, and one that gabapentin is often prescribed for. Some of us (again, self included) have had some luck taking stabilized R lipoic acid and other supplements you can read about in the Sub-forum. Since I've been taking it, my burning pain is gone, allowing me to discontinue gabapentin entirely.

Depending on the type and cause of PN, this may or may not be something you will have to deal with for life. Depending on the type and cause (and response to treatments/supplements) it may or may not eventually get better (Read the Sticky thread: Neuropathy does improve). I would try to halt it's progression first, and then try to get it to heal. Depending on the same factors, you may or may not be on some kind of medications or supplements for life. Sometimes side effects abate with acclimation and sometimes they do not. A positive attitude can help on all fronts.

I wish I could be more definite, but there are dozens of causes of PN and several types, and everyone is different and responds differently. Unfortunately, there are no one-size-fits-all solutions. It helps, IMO, to think of it as a journey rather than an event.

Information, knowledge, experience, and support are here. They may take some effort and communication. Finding a neurologist who really knows (up to date on) PN can help too, but we all have to help our doctors help us.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 08-17-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: correct typos
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote