View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 12:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

There are orthopedic surgeons who evaluate your need for surgery if indicated, do surgery, follow you for the post op and send you on your (hopefully !) merry way. There are orthopedics who may do some surgery, but manage people who don't need surgery like some sports injuries and chronic conditions.

Neurosurgeons evaluate your need for surgery, do surgery if indicated, follow you for the post op and send you on your (hopefully !) merry way. Most neurologists that I know of DON'T do surgery. They evaluate and follow people with neurological conditions. Disc issues with pain is an orthopedic AND a neurological issue.

Because of my dx's, making my 'managing doc' a neurologist is a no-brainer. Some of my issues could be managed by an orthopedist, but more should be managed by a neurologist. A neuro could work well for you too specifically because HE doesn't operate, so you might not feel that you have to decline that option each time. He would also be expert in evaluating any new neurological symptoms you might develope because of the mess in your spine.

I don't think you should see a physical therapist INSTEAD OF a doctor. I think you should see a physical therapist if a doctor recommends it.

There are other therapies out there too.....like chiro, accupuncture, message, exercise/yoga, TEN's, nerve blocks, trigger point injections that COULD help you manage your pain. A doctor who works more with the physical aspects of the body might have a better sense of what might help you.

You might continue to make it through your CDR's with no issues if you just keep doing what you're doing. If it were me, I would want to give the SSA what they are looking for. I would feel more comfortable being regularly evaluated by an expert in the fields of each of my disabling conditions......and following their recommended plan of care.

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bobby17 (08-17-2012), echoes long ago (08-17-2012), ginnie (08-17-2012)