View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 08:52 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos View Post
Saw the doc today, I am up to 300mg of Gabapentin twice a day. I couldn't handle more, and my brain just isn't working like it should. I have a hard time remember the right words and carrying on conversation. Typing is easier. Doc said he wants me at least on a lesser dose and I should start something else. He recommended Norpramin, Trileptal or Cymbalta, I have to let him know what I want after researching. Do any of these work without causing a bunch more side effects? I get migraines and have a sensitive stomach. I take Wellbutrin 300mg a day. I used to take Effexor years ago and I HATE that, I don't want anything even close to it again. I'm also on a generic only insurance plan (but will be changing it in Nov). I'm also starting thyroid meds (not related to this, just a surprise when the blood tests came back) and have been taking a big B vitamin daily.

In little words that a kid can understand, because I feel totally stupid lately, please let me know what some of you have done next and what some of these have done to you.
I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through. Gabapentin did not work for me either--it did little to ease the pain and it made me feel foggy all day. My work suffered because of it.

I switched to Cymbalta and I find it much more effective. I take 60mg every morning and it definitely takes the edge off the pain, making it easier for me to walk and function normally at work (I have small fiber neuropathy in both feet). I also go to physical therapy twice a week and Cymbalta makes that easier as well. In addition, it helps ease my depression, although I can't say I was ever severely depressed--just kind of "down" because of my condition.

It took me about 2 weeks to get used to the Cymbalta--there were some side effects in the beginning (nausea, changes in appetite, headache). And I am well aware that I will need to wean myself off very gradually when I am ready. I am not looking forward to that part!

Lastly, because Cymbalta is a brand-name drug, it is more expensive. My co-payment for prescriptions is usually $10; for Cymbalta, I have to pay $25.

Best of luck to you!
APJH is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote