View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 10:59 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephC View Post
Every thing I have read about MG says "with treatment most people can lead relatively normal life" however the more I read and Live with this illness I think normal life isn't the normal I had before MG got so bad. I used to ride my bicycle 10 miles, go horseback riding for 6 hours. Will I ever be able to do those things again?

I am sole practitioner lawyer and had very busy practice working about 40-50 hours per week. I stopped taking new cases about 2 months ago. Will I ever be able to go back to 40-50 hour work weeks ?

I have started therapeutic trial of mestinon and seem to be responding meaning I feel like I can function but even so only couple hours work before I am drained whereas before I was workaholic.
I agree with Alice's response - it depends on how you respond to treatment and what treatment you try. If you're just on Mestinon, then, it sounds like you're just starting and you probably need something else, like prednisone or another immunosuppressant. There's no guarantee how well you will respond to the treatment until you try it. I've been blessed that (1) my first neuro was aggressive in treating my MG (starting me on prednisone / imuran early on, with IVIg and lots of Mestinon) and (2) i've responded well to the treatments.

I'm also an attorney, but I work in BigLaw. I was diagnosed while practicing in BigLaw, and have continued working in BigLaw. My firm / practice group was very understanding and worked with me through diagnosis and initial treatment, and now 3 years after diagnosis I'm doing pretty well with it, though I do have to make adjustments now and then. Oh, and I also am pretty active with other stuff - volunteering, exercising, ballroom dancing, etc. I had to work my way back up to most of that - it wasn't an immediate thing after getting sick, but.... anyways. There's no guarantee you'll respond as well, but, hopefully that gives you some encouragement.
Jenn220 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
StephC (08-17-2012)