View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 01:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy neuropathy injury vitamin d2

Hi I am new to this forum. I am currently awaiting an appt. with an orthapedic. I willbe seeing him on monday. SO far I have had no relief from a fall I took on june 22nd. I went off a high step and landed on the top of my foot (near my ankle). My foot immediately swelled and a hug hematoma bigger than a golf ball appeared. I had a hard time getting around for the first few days,.but managed to walk small distances. Everyone told me it probably wasnt broke (mistake no#1,.don't listen to people who are not drs. )
I ended up going on vacation the following week to see mom. Durring that week I started to get feelings of cold water being poured onto my foot. Upon returning I made an appt and saw my dr. who dismissed my feelings of cold water on my foot. He said my foot probably was not broken because I was walking on it,.even though I still had a major swell a little off to the side of my foot. He told me to give it a few weeks,.he told me 6 weeks was typical. He told me rst and put warm on it. Well I have to young boys and that was not an easy thing to ,.still isnt.
As I started to do more and the swelling going down more,.I of course walked more. when I walked any lenghty time it started the pins and needles/electric feelings,.started in the injured leg and moved to the other leg also. That scared me and I made an appt to go back to the dr. He still dismissed my injury and said he would do blood work on me to see if I had diabettes or a thyroid issue. I asked him about the swolling that still remained,.he said it was probably a ganglion cyst and asked if I wanted to see a podiatrists. I said sure. SO I was to wait 2 weeks for that appt.
In the mean time waiting for results the dr. called and told me everything looked fine but I was a little low in vitamin d. Im thinking whoa what does that mean? He said no big deal he has been seeing alot of lately for my age and being michigan. I told him I had vitamin d allready at home. He said I could take that or he could prescribe me some. So i go and get the prescription. It was 50,000units 1.25mg to be taken once a week. I took the first pill and 2 hours later I could feel my teeth tingling. It seemed to enhance every nerve in my body. At this point I am not seeing any connection with the pills I thought maybe it was just working on my bones. But then I started to get all the side effects extremely tired, dry mouth, thirsty,the tingly teeth. About 4 days into it (yes taking just one pill) I started to get anxiety and rapid heartbeat etc. at this point it seemed the neuropathy had branched all over my body. The tipping point was when I took a bite of ice cream and the side of my cheek went numb. It lasted a good 15 seconds or so,.enough to scare me to death and make me start sweating and go lay down.
SO after finding out all the side effects when I went to vitamind org,.I have stopped eating any foods with vitamin d and staying away from calcium and staying out of the sun. I had called the hotline on my script and the lady said no way was what I was experiencing anything to do with the vitamin d!
I think it was because all I have been reading about is how good vitamin d is for your nerves! am I correct in this thinking?
If anyone is reading this I would like to say thanks at this point it has been 2 months and I need to vent,.Lord knows my family is sick of it.
Another question I have is if a person has neuropathy from something other than a pinched nerve? Do they get neuropathy the same way I described what I am going through ,.the more you walk or drive the more the tingling comes into play? Just curious I think my mind is running away from me. I just cant wait til a dr takes and xray or mri or whatever so I can know what is happening to me. I am misserable.
betsey2u is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote