View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Gretchen,

Sometimes a small, non painful, black or purplish spot on the gum near a tooth is either a nevus (a benign overgrowth of cells like a birthmark) or it could be a mercury tattoo. These tattoos are the result of a piece of mercury getting in underneath the gum tissue during the placement or removal of a mercury filling. Because the mercury gets so embedded in the fibers of the gum tissue, it can be impossible to remove all of it without removing a piece of the gum as well.

Also.... sometimes when a tooth has decay near the gum line... the decay can actually travel down the root of the tooth, below the gum. This will appear as a black or dark area on the gum line or lower into the gum.

Hopefully your dentist routinely follows the mercury removal protocol. The dental offices that practice this way on a daily basis will have cleaner air which means the toxins in the air will be lessened for ALL of the patients and staff to breath every day!

Hope this helps!!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmcor View Post
Thank you for your reply Bryanna!

I've had this dentist remove other teeth with mercury and I think she basically follows this protocal.

I am glad to know that this is what I need to do and don't have to worry about more extractions, at this time.

One question: do you know what the black spot on my gum near the teeth could be? It doesn't hurt when I press on it, but I just can't imagine what it could be.

Thanks again for your sharing your knowledge!
Gretchen
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote