View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 03:49 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke View Post
What is his date of onset of disability? What is the last day he was able to work? I don't want him to lose possible months of benefits while you are trying to put a case together and delay filing. SSA will request the records from the sources you list and will pay for them if necessary.

If you have limited income like you say and could meet the SSI income and resource rules, every month you delay is a month that he gets no money from SSI. Also, if his date of onset is more than 17 months ago, every month you delay is a month he will not get an SSDI payment.

However, it is also a good idea to be proactive and submit records in your possession, especially those that show that he meets the listing you say he does.

SSA will only need to determine RFC if he doesn't meet a listing, if they go to step 4 in the decision making process. If he is approved at step 3 (meet or equal a listing), RFC is not necessary.

My suggestion is to gather what you think is the most important evidence that shows he meets a listing and what you can afford to pay for. In the mean time, start the online disability application at socialsecurity.gov and be thorough. You can complete it over several days or weeks, but it is not considered a valid application until you submit it to SSA.
I believe his date of onset of disability is May 27th, 2012. I will ask his doctor what her opinion is on that. I get the impression from his primary doctor she wants us to give it 6 months to see if he gets any improvement before she will be supportive in saying he will be disabled a year from now. Why I don't know, but this is what I am reading in between the lines. Our next appointment with her is the end of October.

I was told to apply in person instead of online. That way the person who works for SS sees you. and can see you can't walk, have speech problems, can't pay attention, have constant tremors and muscle jerks and etc... Is it better to apply online in your opinion?

Would it be wrong to go ahead and ask the dcotors to fill out the RFC and take it with us to the appointment to file? Or would that be a NO NO?

We would not qualify for SSI. I work and I gross too much to get any help. Everything I look into is based on gross pay. They could care less that our healt insurance eats $600 dollars a month of that gross pay. Then we have to pay our uninsured medical bills and co-pays out of whats left. So my only plan now is to start liquidating assets. Problem is, we have very few of those LOL. But I am keeping my chin up because I know there are others that have it worse than me. I don't think we will loose our house as long as I can work. We may not have any furniture left in it by the time we are through this. The worst part is having to tell my 10 year old son NO at the grocery store when he wants soemthing extra, NO you can't take martial arts with your friend, No I can't take you to the fair, No we can't turn the air conditioner on to cool off. I think hearing No so much and seeing me sell our pop up camper and what little gold jewrely I had and now I am starting to go through Dad's tools to sell, is frightening him.

echos long ago- i can not believe 3 bucks a page. that's criminal. these are my husbands records. he has a legal right to see them! rediclous!
youngwife is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote