View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 09:25 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngwife View Post
I believe his date of onset of disability is May 27th, 2012. I will ask his doctor what her opinion is on that. I get the impression from his primary doctor she wants us to give it 6 months to see if he gets any improvement before she will be supportive in saying he will be disabled a year from now. Why I don't know, but this is what I am reading in between the lines. Our next appointment with her is the end of October.

I was told to apply in person instead of online. That way the person who works for SS sees you. and can see you can't walk, have speech problems, can't pay attention, have constant tremors and muscle jerks and etc... Is it better to apply online in your opinion?

Would it be wrong to go ahead and ask the dcotors to fill out the RFC and take it with us to the appointment to file? Or would that be a NO NO?

We would not qualify for SSI. I work and I gross too much to get any help. Everything I look into is based on gross pay. They could care less that our healt insurance eats $600 dollars a month of that gross pay. Then we have to pay our uninsured medical bills and co-pays out of whats left. So my only plan now is to start liquidating assets. Problem is, we have very few of those LOL. But I am keeping my chin up because I know there are others that have it worse than me. I don't think we will loose our house as long as I can work. We may not have any furniture left in it by the time we are through this. The worst part is having to tell my 10 year old son NO at the grocery store when he wants soemthing extra, NO you can't take martial arts with your friend, No I can't take you to the fair, No we can't turn the air conditioner on to cool off. I think hearing No so much and seeing me sell our pop up camper and what little gold jewrely I had and now I am starting to go through Dad's tools to sell, is frightening him.

echos long ago- i can not believe 3 bucks a page. that's criminal. these are my husbands records. he has a legal right to see them! rediclous!
The person who takes your husband's claim does not make a decision about whether or not he is disabled. And although they make observations that the decisionmaker may read, it is the medical evidence that determines whether or not someone is disabled, not the observations of a claims rep. And the claims rep has a limited amount of time to complete the forms in the office before they have to take their next interview. So your husband may be rushed through the interview in the office, especially if he has many treating sources. The claims rep may or may not write everything down they way you want it written. You have to provide the information and I know a more throrough job can be done if you do it online. Then, if you also want the office to copy and submit the pages and pages of medical evidence that you have, that chore will also have to be done in the limited time you have for the in-office interview. And in some offices, the staff will sit you down at a self-help PC even when you come into the office to file in person. SSA wants you to submit it online.

I suggest filing online but then making an appointment in office for a brief submission of medical records. Since SSA will be requesting the records of the sources you provide on the disability report, you are not required to obtain records yourself.

It is true that SSI considers gross income in determining eligibility. That way the determination is consistent and people with high expenses (for whatever reason) don't qualify for more money than people with low expenses. As a public assistance program, the goal of SSI really just to keep the SSI recipient from homelessness and starvation. But you don't know for sure that the SSI claim would be denied and there is no harm in getting an official answer.

If the onset date is 5/12, the earliest date to even expect an SSDI check, after the 5 month waiting period (6/12-10/12) would be for 11/12 paid in 12/12. So he is not losing anything yet by not applying now.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote