View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Welcome to NeuroTalk:

if you have normal kidney function tests, your use of methylB12 should be fine. Most of that oral B12 is not even absorbed.

People become low if they have autoimmune issues affecting the parietal cells of the stomach. Acid blocking drugs and metformin are also culprits in reducing absorption of B12 from food. Loss of parietal cells occurs genetically also in people who inherit pernicious anemia.

About 30 % of people over 50 may develop low acid in the stomach with aging, and when this happens, B12 cannot be absorbed from food like before. The name for this is achlorhydria.

Many people with only one functioning kidney can have normal functions. You can ask your doctor about your clearance rates. This would also affect many drugs you may use for various reasons.

I'll be back from vacation in about a week or so. We are still in the Northwoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHill View Post
Hi,
I am new to this forum. Thank you very much for the valuable information you are all sharing through this forum. I am a female, 41 years old, underwent nephrectomy 5 years back. Recently my husband was diagnosed with Vitamin B12 deficiency (<150 pg/ml) after suffering from various health issues for the last 4 years. As I am also having similar symptoms I asked our doctor to get my blood tested and the result is 166 pg/ml.
Our doctor says it is not a big issue No need use to any medication Through this forum I came to know that how ignorant the doctors are in case of Vitamin B12. I have taken my first shot of B12(cyanocobalamin b12). We already ordered Puritan's Pride Methylcobalamin Vitamin B-12 5000 mcg after reading this forum.

We are very cautious on our diet and we are not vegetarians. We take mostly fish or chicken.I don't know why we (both me and my husband) are low on Vitamin B12.

I need information on using Methylcobalamin for people under went nephrectomy or any kidney related issues. My other kidney is working fine. I am having severe back pain, fatigue , most of the time feel severe dizziness.
Thank you once again. Hope to receive some advice on the usage of Methylcobalamin.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BlueHill (08-18-2012), glenntaj (08-19-2012), MelodyL (08-18-2012)