View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 11:34 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Welcome Kimster:

First off, I can empathize with your pain as I too have DDD, SI Joint disfunction, Osteoarthritis (Hip/Shoulder) L5-S1 thru L3 herniations, L5-S1 thru L-3 Neural Formal stenosis and Osteophytes at L5-S1.

I have been dealing with Chronic Pain for over 11 years now, after suffering a devastating injury in the Military.

My doctors never did surgery at my lower back - although it has been recommended - (Fusion - b/c the bones keep shifting, Laminectomy) I have come to realize that surgery may not be the answer for me - in my research I have read that I would be trading one pain for another and a pain pump would be added when I have the fusion and laminectomy. I have consented to inserting a pain stimulator in my back though and that would happen sometime this year.

Second off, you are in a good place here, the people are knowledgeable, supportive and have some wonderful advice when I need it.

Thirdly, sounds like you have doctors willing to help you in your situation.

I too had a seditary job and to tell the truth I rushed home everyday and got in a super hot tub just to deal with the pain I was experiencing every day - here are some of the strategies I used on a daily basis to combat the pain.

1. My doctor recommended a raised (bar stool like) workstation which kept me in a half standing half sitting position - this helps and frankly standing up when I needed to was much easier - reducing my dependence on my cane.

2. Having a spot in the office where I could go and lie flat with my knees up during my lunch hour was important. I would go into the conference room, lie on a sleeping bag pad and turn the lights off. Having my ipod drowned out the noise of the office and allowed me to do some deep breathing and some stretching exercises.

3. Drink plenty of water. Most of our pain is residual, and sometimes comes from stiff muscles - water will keep both your joints and your muscles well hydrated, so have a water bottle with you at all times.

4. There are some stretching exercises you can do at your desk, email me I will explain more.

5. I had a nasty supervisor that would not like to see me get up and walk around every hour so my doctor wrote me a note to do just that.....get up and walk every hour - that keeps you mobile.

6. Use back supports (pillows), heating pads, and anything else that helps you deal with the pain while sitting.

7. Ice packs seemed to work the best - I would keep them in the office refridgerator.

Wish you all the best,

Kim
Life is a series of mountains and valleys, some days we travel up the mountain effortlessly, some days we fall into the valley - what's important is.....we get up and climb that mountain again ~Quote by Julia Diemientieff, my Grandmother....Yup'ik Elder from Bethel, Alaska
AK Kid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote